Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the hype was totally worth it



last night was THE BEST halloween i've had in a long, long time. it would probably seem so ordinary to everyone else - there really wasn't anything radically special about it. except that i got to watch beth take it in, figure it out, and have a really good time with it.

it turned out to be a beautiful night - around 60 degrees (snow again tonight though... ha!) so i put beth in her costume and we sat outside on the porch, breathing in the fresh air and waiting for the trick or treaters to come. she looked a bit confused in the beginning, but by the third or fourth group of kids, she was totally into it and would hand out the candy for me. she would kind of play in the yard in between groups of people, but when she saw anyone coming up the driveway she would run over to the candy basket sitting on the steps, grab two handfuls and wait anxiously for the different costumes to come close enough and open their bags for her to drop the candy in. then she would go back to spinning around in the grass or running through the leaves or singing. she got lots compliments from parents on her costume and she would say "thank you" and "bye bye" as they turned around and left. it was SO FUN to watch her eyes light up and get so excited every time someone new came our way.





about halfway through the night we had some friends stop by with their kids so i grabbed a tiny little bag for her and decided that we would hit the houses around us with them and give her a shot and getting some candy. the first house we went to was awesome - she was so confused when they tried to give her candy... she put it back in the bowl! she was sure she was supposed to be giving it away and not getting it. but it didn't take long for her to figure that one out either. she never even attempted the "trick or treat" phrase and would only throw out blank stares when i requested she say thank you - even to the people we knew - but she would at least say "bye bye" when we would turn to walk away and go on to the next.




we headed back home after about 6 houses and joined hank on the porch, but it was totally not over for her. she would grab my finger with her sticky hands (i may have let her have a starburst or two) and pull me up, then walk me down the driveway, and beg me to go to more houses, bright eyed, skip in step and all. of course i gave in.... how could i not?! so we'd go to one more house and then back home. repeat. repeat. finally it was late enough that it was time to go inside. to be honest, i was almost as reluctant as she was. but alas, it was time for bed.





the pictures are terrible. horrible! i know... but it's the best i could do with my little point and shoot that would allow them to turn out even remotely clear. i'm just glad i got some. i really wish i'd been able to get the whole dang night on video. i would post the entire 2 hour episode on youtube. it was that fun for me.



(the aforementioned bats/decor)



halloween is a hundred times better with kids. wow. like, a hundred times.

4 comments:

Sarah M said...

lindsay, beth's costume is AMAZING! wow. how did you get her to wear. rubes REFUSED to wear anything that remotely resembled a costume. grrrr.
ps, your zombie costume was amazing, too. a little frightenig, but, um, amazing. :)

christine said...

How adorable is that!! I love the peacock costume, that's one I haven't seen before! And you're right, kids make Halloween so much more fun!

TeamDall said...

How cute is Beth? Darlingly cute! I think most things in life are more fun with kids. Except going to the mall. I'd rather poke my eyes out which is why all my clothes are from Target, Ross, or TJ Maxx. They all have shopping carts. Um, your zombie costume is sick. Did you sing Hank the "if I were a zombie" song? I hope you wouldn't eat his brain. Also, I didn't know you were pregnant. I can't really figure out how I missed that tiny bit of information. So, you should email me or call me or send a message through the mountains to give me all the details! Love you!

TeamDall said...

so I just read further down on your blog and you're having a boy! Yay! congratulations. It's going to be so fun. My boys are 23 months apart and are best friends. It rocks. Still send me details.